Home > Chiropractic Care > College Students
Welcoming Our Students
Columbia is home to mulitple higher education institutions and our office regularly takes care of students during their college years. Whether you are from the Columbia area or new to the region, we welcome you! We accept many health care plans and because many students are often away from home for the first time; we make sure to work with your parents and any of your previous hometown doctors to make sure you get the care needed.
College is a time of countless discoveries and learning. Because of the increased demands on the physical body and mind during this time, often college students begin to experience new symptoms based on change in environment and daily routine. These can include:
- Neck pain from increased study demands
- Lower back pain from change in physical routine
- Sciatica from increased time sitting
- Headaches & Migraines from new stressors and changes in environment
- Rib pain from postural strains
- "Text Neck" syndrome from technology usage
- Neurological conditions
- Scoliosis (residual effects)
Students and young professionals often seek chiropractic care for a variety of conditions. Recent studies continue to show that college students experience increased levels of depression, anxiety and stress. We strive to help ease the buden of this time through alleviating any stress on the nervous system, leading to more ease in mental clarity and focus. Our nervous system is responsible for all our perceptions and expressions. It plays an important role in maintaining homeostasis and how our body responds and adapts.
Postural strain is constant battle for individuals who are in class, in lab and studying for many hours of the day. Poor posture is all around us. Over time, this repetitive insult can restul in neck pain, upper back tension, shoulder pain, headaches and increased risk of disc disorders. Postural imbalances such as anterior head carriage, rounded shoulders and a "hump" at the base of the neck can manifest. Chiropractic care helps correct postural changes and specializes in restoring balance and improving these adaptations of the body. Maintaining a neutral spine and good posture throughout the day is imperative.
1. Mental Health Nurs. 2012 Mar;33(3):149-56. doi: 10.3109/01612840.2011.632708. The relationship among young adult college students' depression, anxiety, stress, demographics, life satisfaction, and coping styles. Mahmoud, JS